Home Giants NFL Notes: Giants, Patriots, Redskins, Seahawks
- Mike Reiss believes the Patriots would promote a cornerback from the practice squad, such as Ryan Lewis, instead of signing veteran free agent CB Leon Hall.
- Reiss does not think that Hall would have much of an impact on defense, considering that he’s 32 years old and has not played in a game this season.
- Reiss points out that Ss Devin McCourty and Patrick Chung have had cornerback-type roles “many times” this season, and this will likely continue in substitution packages with S Duron Harmon playing safety during these sets.
- Regarding the Patriots’ struggles on pass defense, Reiss notes that the team has allowed 26 pass plays of 20 yards or more this season after allowing a total of 44 in 2016.
- Despite Patriots RB Dion Lewis coming off his best game of the season, Reiss expects RBs Mike Gillislee and Rex Burkhead to continue being involved in the team’s run game moving forward. Reiss says he would be surprised if one running back plays “significantly” more than the others.