Tom Pelissero of USA Today spoke to a number of executives and league insiders this past week to formulate a list of head-coaching candidates for teams to consider next year.
According to Pelissero, the candidates to watch include:
- Patriots OC Josh McDaniels
- Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan
- Eagles DC Jim Schwartz
- Bills OC Anthony Lynn
- Patriots DC Matt Patricia
- Panthers DC Sean McDermott
- Lions DC Teryl Austin
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that former Browns CB K’Waun Williams had ankle surgery on Monday and his recovery time should be around 12 weeks.
- Williams’ agent tells Nate Ulrich that their grievance against the Browns is scheduled to be heard sometime around February of next year.
- Lions HC Jim Caldwell didn’t rule out the possibility of RB Ameer Abdullah returning this season from injured reserve.
- However, Michael Rothstein mentions that LB Jon Bostic has appeared closer to returning from injured reserve and was spotted running on the side at Wednesday’s practice, which makes him seem far more likely to be designated to return.
New Vikings OC Pat Shurmur admitted that he too was surprised by Norv Turner’s decision to resign on Wednesday.
“I was in the office kind of doing my work,” Shurmur said, via Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “Like everybody, I was surprised by Norv’s decision yesterday.
“Norv told us he was going to step aside. And then Coach Zim came down and asked if I would move forward and help get a plan together and call the plays as we move forward.”
Shurmur added that he doesn’t anticipate any major changes to their offense moving forward.
“I don’t think you totally change what we’re doing offensively,” Shurmur said. “I think there are certain things that may look different. You’ll have to tell me after the game. But I think what we need to do is coach better, play better and if everybody on the field and everybody involved in the offense makes one less mistake then we give ourselves the best chance to win.”