ESPN’s Adam Caplan (Insider) takes a look at the NFL coaches entering the 2016 season on the Hot Seat.
- According to Caplan, the only head coach who is firmly on the hot seat this year is Bills HC Rex Ryan.
- Two other coaches worth keeping an eye, according to Caplan, are Jaguars HC Gus Bradley and Chargers HC Mike McCoy.
- In regards to Lions HC Jim Caldwell, Caplan reports that GM Bob Quinn took some time to get to know Caldwell and both men have “forged a solid working relationship since then.”
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk recently reached out to various league executives and coaches around the NFL regarding Cowboys QB Tony Romo‘s value.
- Florio says that several of them quickly said Romo would have no trade value at all, due to his age and injury history.
- However, others could see Romo netting the Cowboys a mid-round pick, or possibly a conditional fourth-round pick that could become a third-round selection based on playing time/performance.
Jets HC Todd Bowles mentioned that there are “quite a few” roster spots up in the air right now.
“There’s quite a few [roster spots] open,” Bowles said. “There’s quite a few guys I want to see. There’s quite a few guys that were nicked up that didn’t get a chance to play that have a chance to prove themselves. When they get to play a whole game, you get to see them when they’re fatigued, you get to see them play special teams, you get a good look at them when they’re playing offense and defense, so you get a good gauge of what kind of guy you’re getting because they’ll get a lot of playing time this game. We’ll see. But there’s quite a few.”
- Brian Costello of the New York Post writes that TE Jace Amaro is one of the more notable names on the chopping block for the Jets, as he’s “done virtually nothing in the games” and missed their recent preseason game with a groin injury.
- Costello expects CB Dee Milliner to be on the 53-man roster, due to the fact that his $2.1 million salary is guaranteed.