- The NFL has removed the term “probable” from their injury report terminology, since the league found that approximately 95 percent of players that were listed as probable in prior years ended up playing, via Pro Football Talk.
- The league has also simplified the definition of “questionable” to any condition where it “is uncertain as to whether the player will play in the game.” This means that a player will be listed as questionable as long as their chances of playing are less than 100 percent.
- As for the term “doubtful“, the league changed it’s meaning to any situation where the player has a less than 50 percent chance of participating.
Although Broncos HC Gary Kubiak said there is still an open competition between the three quarterbacks on their roster, he admitted that first-round rookie QB Paxton Lynch is behind Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian from a knowledge standpoint.
“He’s always been in the mix,” Kubiak said, via Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. “I just told you guys that he’s behind the other two from a knowledge standpoint, but we’ve been out there competing every day. Everybody is in competition to play.”
- Mike Triplett of ESPN believes that WR Brandon Coleman and RB/KR Marcus Murphy may be losing their grip on a roster spot.
- In fact, HC Sean Payton commented on Coleman’s catching ability and that he has had a “pedestrian” camp so far, saying: “I thought it was just OK and honestly, it’s been kind of pedestrian from him throughout camp. There’s certain things you see and you see and you see and you see, and then all of a sudden they reveal themselves in a game. And you know what, I’m not surprised. And I think he can be better, and I know I’ve seen better. So he’s gonna have to pick it up. I think he will. I think he’ll compete. But I don’t like how he’s catching the ball on the first play that comes out of his hands. Too many times the ball’s separating from him.”
- As for Murphy’s standings on the roster, Payton said the team will look at their options if fumbles continue to occur during returns, while saying that undrafted WR Tommylee Lewis will get “every opportunity as a returner“.
- Texans HC Bill O’Brien said second-round C Nick Martin might require surgery on his ankle, which is still being evaluated at this time. (Nate Berman)