Jameis Winston & Marcus Mariota
According to Matt Miller of the Bleacher Report, there is a “big gap” between Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota among NFL scouts at the Combine.
This was before the Combine, but Miller mentions that Winston’s performance Saturday may have solidified his status as the No. 1 quarterback in this year’s draft.
However, even with a reported gap between the two, Miller doesn’t see Mariota dropping far in the draft, due to the fact that a number of teams could use a quarterback.
Miller specifically lists the Titans, Jets, Rams as teams with an obvious need of a quarterback to go along with and the Eagles and Browns who could try to trade up for Mariota.
- If it were up to ESPN’s Coley Harvey, he would sign free agent DE Greg Hardy if he were making the call for the Bengals.
- Harvey brings up a good point that there could be a number of major roster moves on the horizon for Cincinnati, which is why they should consider taking some chances to end their playoff losing streak.
- According to Harvey, “all is quiet on the contract negotiation front” in regards to HC Marvin Lewis.
- Harvey mentions that Lewis could be coaching his final season for the Bengals and adds that OC Hue Jackson and DBs coach Vance Joseph could be internal candidates.
- Cincinnati could be wise to consider approaching WR A.J. Green regarding an extension now that he’s coming off of down year.
- The Bengals have interest in offensive tackles La’el Collins and Ereck Flowers, and edge rusher Alvin “Bud” Dupree.
- Josh Weinfuss wouldn’t pursue free agent DE Greg Hardy given his off-the-field issues and what has transpired with LB Daryl Washington.
- Weinfuss isn’t so sure signing RB Adrian Peterson, if he were to be available, would be a good move for the Cardinals.
- Weinfuss suggests Jason Worilds, Derrick Morgan, Dan Skuta, Brandon Graham, Pernell McPhee, and possibly Justin Houston as good fits at outside linebacker
- As for inside linebackers, Weinfuss can see Rolando McClain and Brandon Spikes making sense for Arizona.
- Free agent running backs DeMarco Murray, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mark Ingram, Ryan Mathews, Frank Gore and Stevan Ridley could be on the Cardinals’ radar.
- Mike Wells fully expects the Colts to be active in free agency.
- Even if DL Cory Redding decides to return next year, Wells believes they need more defensive line depth.
- Wells doesn’t see RB Frank Gore ending up with the Colts after 49ers GM Trent Baalke comments at the Combine.
- Wells considers receiver a need for the Colts, even after they signed CFL star Duron Carter.
- ESPN’s Nick Wagoner writes that unless a linebacker is clearly the best player available in the draft, the Rams are unlikely to grab one high in the draft.
- According to Wagoner, it’s still a possibility that C Scott Wells will be back in 2015, but he could also see them targeting a free agent like Chiefs C Rodney Hudson.
- Wagoner has heard that TE Lance Kendricks could get $4 million or so per year on the open market.
- Wagoner expects WR Kenny Britt to be back in St. Louis next year.
- In the draft, Wagoner can see the Rams “doubling up” on offensive linemen within the first three rounds and use the other pick on a quarterback.