- Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports that free agent QB Jay Cutler did have “strong interest” in playing for the Texans a few months ago after he was released by the Bears.
- However, the Texans used a first-round pick on Clemson QB Deshaun Watson and Cutler recently agreed to join FOX as a broadcaster.
- Kimberly A. Martin reports that the Colts are hiring former Jets senior director of college scouting Rex Hogan and Seahawks executive Ed Dodds.
- While the Saints cut DE Royce LaFrance on Monday (NFLTR), Nick Underhill expects him to be at the team’s rookie minicamp this week if he clears waivers on Tuesday.
- The Saints bringing in former Raiders DL Drew Iddings for their minicamp this week. (Aaron Wilson)
- WKU C Max Halpin has been invited to the Saints rookie camp on a tryout basis. (Jenna Laine)
- The Saints have invited Tulane S Darion Monroe to rookie minicamp. (Will Guillory)
Texans GM Rick Smith denied that the report that they refused to return phone calls from Jay Cutler‘s agent this offseason.
“I will tell you I was a little surprised by that comment that that reporter made because it was inaccurate,” Smith said, via the Houston Chronicle. “Bus Cook is a friend of mine and obviously represents Jay. I was in Denver when we drafted Jay, so I’ve got a relationship with Jay.
“Obviously, we respect him and respect Bus enough that we would not return phone calls. I don’t know where that came from and obviously Jay has decided what he’s doing and moved on.“