Cowboys owner Jerry Jones explained his opposition to a new extension for Roger Goodell on Friday during an interview with 105.3 The Fan.
“The news account were right in this respect,” Jones said, via Pro Football Talk. “This is such an important matter in light of all that’s going on in the NFL right now that I basically feel that this extension of Roger should go and be reviewed and approved by all the owners, not just a few of the owners. And the committee that basically negotiates the salary with our Commissioner is taking the view, especially the chairman [Arthur Blank], that they in a limited group can complete this agreement. And I disagree. I think that we should with all the interest and commitment that we have throughout the ownership — this is the most aware ownership, the smartest ownership if you will, to a man, to a team, is more sophisticated in knowledge, is more involved in the operations of these clubs. So . . . on the extension of the Commissioner that everybody should not only really get involved but make their own decision. So this is simply about making sure that all clubs have input in not only what the Commissioner, his extension, but also in future years his decisions. And we all see how impactful a Commissioner’s decision can be in many areas. We’ve given him a lot of power. I think we need the checks and balances of ownership of actually having be in a position to not just suggest but approve of his decisions. So that’s what this is about.”
- Cowboys TE Geoff Swaim injured his knee during Thursday’s practice and underwent an MRI. According to Brandon George, Swaim’s status is up in the air moving forward.
- Dallas plans to integrate TE Rico Gathers back into team meetings next week and have him around the team more as he works his way back from a concussion. (Brandon George)
- The Cowboys officially list LT Tyron Smith (groin), WR Dez Bryant (knee/ankle), DT Maliek Collins (foot), TE Geoff Swaim (knee) and CB Chidobe Awuzie (hamstring) all listed as questionable
- The Redskins officially ruled out DL Matt Ioannidis and DL Arthur Jones for Sunday’s game.
- The Redskins have a huge list of players that are questionable including OT Trent Williams, WR Jamison Crowder, G Shawn Lauvao, C Spencer Long, OT Morgan Moses, S Montae Nicholson, OT Ty Nsekhe, TE Niles Paul, WR Brian Quick, TE Jordan Reed, G Brandon Scherff and LB Zach Brown.
- The Saints officially ruled out S Kenny Vaccaro for Sunday’s game and have LT Terron Armstead and G Larry Warford both down as questionable.