- In regards to re-signing QB Ryan Fitzpatrick and an extension for franchise DL Muhammad Wilkerson, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports can’t see the Jets caving in and moving off of their current stance.
- Instead, La Canfora expects both players to enter the 2016 season with an uncertain future in New York. This is, of course, assuming that the Jets actually re-sign Fitzpatrick at some point in the near future.
Jason La Canfora writes that the recent comments by Panthers GM Dave Gettleman about market value and contract talks with agents have “come off as overly tough talk to some in the agent community.”
“I’d like to think agents have figured out they can’t scare me,” Gettleman told the Black & Blue Review. “They can’t squeeze me. I’m not going to panic. I’m not going to give money away. It’s a waste of time.”
Multiple agents have told La Canfora that Gettleman’s recent comments are “off-putting“, especially considering that they haven’t used much of the cap savings they got from rescinding CB Josh Norman‘s franchise tag on other players like DT Kawann Short.
In fact, sources have told La Canfora that it’s possible Gettleman’s comments have “made some waves” in the team’s locker room.
- According to Jason La Canfora, there are a number of people in the NFL Park Avenue office who breathed a sigh of relief now that Saints owner Tom Benson has reached a settlement with his children regarding his estate.
- La Canfora points out that any settlement will need the approval of 24 other owners, but the expectation is that he should be able to secure a two-thirds approval.
- Depending on who ends up owning the franchise down the line, La Canfora says this will be a source of concern from some owners, who are reportedly concerned about either party running the team.