- Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh told his players on Monday that the rumors regarding his possible return to the NFL are “lies made up by our enemies.” (Dan Murphy)
- Harbaugh later reiterated that he has no intention of leaving Michigan, saying: “I’m not leaving Michigan. I’m not even considering it.” (Nick Baumgardner)
- Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said the team is checking the collective bargaining agreement for disciplinary options for WR Michael Floyd after his recent DUI on Monday. (Alex Marvez)
- Arians mentioned that Floyd could be benched for Week 15’s game against the Saints.
- Regarding S Tyrann Mathieu‘s shoulder injury, Arians said he has “fingers crossed” that he can return to practice on Wednesday.
Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that Chargers owner Dean Spanos views the last-minute idea of a 99-year lease at a $1 annual rent for the Chargers as an attempt to embarrass him and deflect blame to him and the organization for considering relocating.
“If the goal was to infuriate the single remaining decision-maker in this process, mission accomplished,” said source tells Florio.
Although the idea was not presented to the Chargers, Spanos believes the proposal would never survive scrutiny. While the low-rent sounds appealing, operation costs are estimated at $15 million per year, with another $100 million still required in deferred maintenance projects.
Spanos would still need to obtain development rights for the stadium site in San Diego, despite controlling the grounds of the location. Beyond that, the process is expected to be “time-consuming” and face “intense” local opposition.
Lastly, Florio notes that the Chargers would still need a public vote towards the project. Given how the last public vote failed, it seems that any proposal would be an uphill battle.
- Packers RB Eddie Lacy said he “hopes” to be back with the team next year and admitted that there is “no way” he could have returned to play this season after undergoing surgery on his ankle. (Rob Demovsky)
Although Alameda County Board of Supervisors voted 3-1 in favor on a term sheet to build a $1.3 billion stadium in Oakland, NFL executive Eric Grubman said there’s no sign of a “breakthrough” at this time and that the plans are a “carbon copy” of previously failed efforts.
“I think the intentions are good,” said Grubman, via Tom Pelissero of USA Today. “But I don’t think there’s been any progress that suggests a breakthrough anytime soon.”
As of now, there is no proposal on the table for the league or Raiders to consider. Grubman also mentioned that current discussions compare to the failed efforts from 2015 with businessman Floyd Kephart.
“And I dare say if you pull up the descriptions of what the agreement was with Mr. Kephart when they entered into it and then the problems that ensued, it is a carbon copy of what they’re about to enter into today and the problems that are likely to ensue,” Grubman said.