Home / 49ers / NFL Notes: Jimmy Garoppolo, Bears, Browns, Chargers, Patriots
NFL Notes: Jimmy Garoppolo, Bears, Browns, Chargers, Patriots
- Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com writes that Jimmy Garoppolo‘s value could be at its peak right now and there should be enough of a market for the backup quarterback for the Patriots to secure a solid return this offseason.
- Breer lists the Browns, Bears, 49ers, Texans and Saints as some teams to watch for Garoppolo this offseason in a potential trade.
- Brad Biggs mentions that one name worth keeping an eye on for the Bears’ search for a wide receivers coach is former 49ers and Eagles WRs coach Bob Bicknell.
- Adam Caplan reports that the Chargers are hiring D’Anton Lynn (son of HC Anthony Lynn) as a defensive assistant and Dan Shamash as offensive quality control coach.
- According to Albert Breer, while LB Dont’a Hightower appears to be the most worthy candidate to receive the Patriots’ franchise tag, his injury history and the fact that it would cost them $15 million could lead to them considering someone else such as TE Martellus Bennett.
- Breer mentions that if the Patriots were to franchise Hightower at $15 million next year, it could impact extension talks going forward.
- Tagging Bennett would be much more affordable — around $10 million — and would ensure that they have a solid option at tight end in case Rob Gronkowski has any issues returning from another surgery.
- Interestingly enough, Breer wonders if pass-rushers such as DeMarcus Ware or Julius Peppers could be interested in signing with the Patriots to make a run at a Super Bowl.
Tags Anthony Lynn Bob Bicknell D'Anton Lynn Dan Shamash David Lee Demarcus Ware Dont'a Hightower Jimmy Garoppolo julius peppers Martellus Bennett Rob Gronkowski