Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk spoke to Joe Mixon’s agent who mentioned that his client is scheduled to visit with 15 teams before the start of the draft.
Mixon’s agent said that not being invited to the Combine may have ultimately benefited Mixon in the end.
“No speed dating,” Schaffer said. “And really, how much can you get to know someone in 15 minutes. It forced everyone to bring him in. Everyone who has brought him in has remarked how remorseful he is about what he did when he was 18 … and that he’s deserving of a second chance.
“(This many visits) is clearly not efficient and (consumes) a lot of time. But at the same time, it’s important to have it. It’s a blessing for any player to get considered for the draft. Along with that blessing comes hard work.”
Mixon has so far visited with the Browns, Saints, Packers, Chargers, Raiders, Bengals and Broncos.
- St. Norbert LS Joe Rotherham worked out for the Packers on Friday. (Bob McGinn)
- Oklahoma CB Dakota Austin participated in the Cowboys’ local prospects day. (Brandon George)
- SMU QB Matt Davis worked out for the Texans at their local prospect day on Saturday. (Aaron Wilson)
- The Texans also worked out Houston WR Greg Ward at their local prospect day. (Aaron Wilson)
- Coastal Carolina RB De’Angelo Henderson visited with the Saints on Friday. (Enter-Sports)
- Although Mike Wells of ESPN believes trading for Seahawks CB Richard Sherman would help the Colts’ defense, he writes that adding the veteran would go against GM Chris Ballard‘s philosophy of getting younger and adding draft picks.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN says Jets’ scouts’ feedback on Alabama TE O.J. Howard has been “overwhelmingly positive” and the team believes he is worthy of a top-10 pick.
- Though Cimini views Howard as a “luxury pick” because of the number of other needs on the team, he reasons that Howard’s blocking ability, skills as a pass catcher, and lack of injury concerns makes him worthy of the Jets’ No. 6 overall pick.