- According to The Wichita Eagle, former Cowboys RB Joseph Randle has been charged with assaulting one a fellow inmate at the Sedgwick County Jail.
- Randle has been charged with one count of aggravated battery and one count of disorderly conduct.
- Alex Marvez reports that the 49ers are hiring Falcons assistant Mike LaFleur as their new WRs coach.
New Chargers DC Gus Bradley mentioned that they will convert to a 4-3 base defense in 2017 because he believes it will be a good fit for the team’s current roster.
“Well, I think the players we have here is why it was a good fit (for me to come to the Chargers),” Bradley explained, via Chargers.com. “When you look at the personnel and what they’ve done in the past, especially what they’ve done really well, you can start picturing these players in our defense and realize it’s a pretty good fit. The pieces in place here are a really good fit for what we’ll do scheme wise. Right now (I’m breaking down film on our) players, and I’m looking at their skillset and what they do well. Every time you put in a defense, your objective is to get the ball. That is our overall objective. So you look at putting players in the best position possible utilizing their skillset. So when I watch tape, I’m trying to find out what their skill set is. And within that scheme, trying to design it so they are in the best possible position to utilize it.”
According to Bradley, the goal is to simplify things so that players can step in and contribute quickly.
“We believe in simplicity,” Bradley said. “Now, simplicity doesn’t mean easy. We just want to create a defense that allows players to come in here, play early and play fast. So it’s play hard, play fast, play smart and play together.
“Now, we have a lot of work to do to get to that point. But that’s what we are hoping for. That’s going to be our style. We’ve got some work to do before we get on the field for OTAs, but I’m really excited about how it’s all coming together.”
- Jordan Raanan of ESPN believes the Giants will likely renegotiate WR Victor Cruz’s contract and bring him back at a cheaper salary.
- Raanan expects veteran CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and RB Shane Vereen to return next year.
- As for possible roster cuts, Raanan can see them moving on from LB J.T. Thomas and RB Rashad Jennings.