Former Olympian Tim Montgomery, who has been working with suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon, expects him to return at some point during the 2017 season.
“He’s coming,” Montgomery told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I think he’s going to be there this season.”
Gordon is still in rehab but he is hoping to have his suspension lifted soon after he’s released on Sept. 21.
“He’s been clean, so we’re hoping after 90 days he’s reinstated and they put him back in the league, which it looks like they’re going to do that,” said Montgomery.
Montgomery believes Gordon was denied reinstatement this past May because he missed his mandatory drug tests.
“It’s my understanding that Josh was clean, but that he wasn’t answering his phone,” said Montgomery. “Josh would go somewhere and he wouldn’t tell anyone he was going out of town and he wouldn’t pick his phone up. He didn’t want to tell his people ‘I can’t come out there because I’ve got to stay here and answer the phone for drug tests.’”
- Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said he is glad to re-sign veteran RB Chris Johnson: “He was with us all the way thru camp and was the toughest cut to make, glad to have him back.” (SiriusXM NFL Radio)
- Arians said the defense will adjust their approach if the Colts start QB Jacoby Brissett. (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- According to Howard Balzer, the Eagles worked out three kickers on Tuesday including Marshall Koehn, Josh Lambo, and Mike Nugent.
- The Eagles ultimately signed K Jake Elliott off of the Bengals’ practice squad.
- Aaron Wilson reports that Texans RG Jeff Allen (ankle) will miss Week 2 and could miss a “few games” with his injury.