Home Cardinals NFL Notes: Josh McDaniels, Cardinals, Lions, Texans
- Mike Reiss of ESPN reports that a Tuesday meeting between Patriots HC Bill Belichick and OC Josh McDaniels ultimately convinced McDaniels to return to New England and back out on the deal with the Colts.
- According to Reiss, Belichick’s willingness to take his mentorship to a higher level played a significant part in McDaniels reversing course.
- Reiss says that Belichick told McDaniels that he would spend more time with him on the inner workings of the Patriots, including roster construction and salary-cap management, which was viewed as “extremely valuable” to McDaniels.
- Both Robert and Jonathan Kraft endorsed the move because it would give them a succession plan for Belichick.
- Another factor in McDaniels staying was the Patriots’ decision to make a long-term contractual commitment that would give McDaniels’ four children the ability to stay in the same school for an extended period of time.
- Reiss adds that McDaniels was prepared to take the Colts’ job as of Tuesday morning before his conversations with the Krafts and Belichick changed his mind.
- Alex Marvez reports that the Cardinals are hiring former Titans QBs coach Jason Michael as their next tight ends coach.
- Marvez adds that the Cowboys were pursuing Michael for the same position on their staff, but were unable to sign him to a deal.
- John Gambadoro of ArizonaSports.com reports that the Cardinals are expected to pick up the $1 million roster bonus owed to veteran S Antoine Bethea for the 2018 season.
- According to Albert Breer, the Lions have named David Carrao as director of football research. This happens to be the same title Ernie Adams has with the Patriots.
- Mike Garafolo reports that D’Anton Lynn, son of Chargers HC Anthony Lynn, is headed to the Texans to be their new assistant DBs coach.