Home / Browns / NFL Notes: Kirk Cousins, Browns, Eagles, Steelers
NFL Notes: Kirk Cousins, Browns, Eagles, Steelers
- According to Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, there’s “internal resistance” to the idea of using the Redskins using their franchise tag on QB Kirk Cousins for the season straight season.
- Breer mentions that tagging Cousins would hamper their ability to sign him long-term, as there would be little motivation for him to take any less than the $23.95 million salary they would be paying him under the franchise tag.
- Last year, the Redskins were reportedly offering Cousins a little over $16 million per year in a long-term contract, but Breer says that the divide between the two parties “hasn’t really been bridged much” since then.
- Interestingly enough, Breer writes that the Redskins were considering allowing the market to set Cousins worth, but with the Rams hiring Sean McVay and the 49ers hiring Kyle Shanahan as their new head coaches, things are now much more complicated.
- Breer adds that it wouldn’t be surprising to see Cousins target close to $60 million in the first two years of a long-term deal.
- Albert Breer confirms that Browns are not planning to franchise WR Terrelle Pryor and would instead prefer to get a long-term contract in place with him.
- Steelers GM Kevin Colbert told reporters on Thursday that they’re hoping QB Ben Roethlisberger doesn’t retire and are currently operating as if he’ll be back for the 2017 season. (Joe Rutter)
- As of now, Colbert said no decision has been made by Le’Veon Bell regarding groin surgery. However, Colbert added that they have “no reservations” about Bell’s “durability.” (Joe Rutter)
- Colbert mentioned that they’re “hopeful” of re-signing back QB Landry Jones. (Joe Rutter)
- Reports have said they could open contract talks with free agent LB Lawrence Timmons. According to Colbert, they would “love to see Lawrence finish his career” as a Steeler. (Joe Rutter)
- Colbert indicated that TE Ladarius Green will return for the 2017 season, but will need to pass a physical before offseason workouts. (Joe Rutter)
- Despite waiving CB Justin Gilbert a few weeks ago, Colbert said they’ve “kept the door open” for him to possibly return at a lower salary. (Joe Rutter)
Tags Allen Barbre Ben Roethlisberger Connor Barwin Darren Sproles Jason Kelce jason peters Justin Gilbert Kirk Cousins LaDarius Green Landry Jones Lawrence Timmons Le'Veon Bell Mychal Kendricks Nelson Agholor Terrelle Pryor