Leighton Vander Esch
Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball.com reported Monday that Boise State LB Leighton Vander Esch that some teams have removed him from their draft board and have flunked him medically.
Cambell spoke to four sources who said that believe Vander Esch is a day-two pick while two others believe he’ll be a late first-round pick.
- A source close to Vander Esch “completely and vehemently” denied the report to Eric Edholm and pointed out that he was not even at the medical recheck in Indianapolis.
- Vander Esch’s agent, Ronald Slavin, also “vehemently” denied the report to Clarence Hill.
- Chris Mortensen reports that some teams have flagged Vander Esch for a neck issue but not all necessarily removed from their draft board.
- Tony Pauline says he personally saw the medical grade Vander Esch received at the Combine and while it wasn’t perfect, it was still at the top end.
- Wyoming QB Josh Allen is visited with the Bills on Monday and the Giants on Tuesday. (Ian Rapoport)
- USC QB Sam Darnold is meeting with the Giants Monday and the Jets tomorrow.
- Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield is flying into Denver on Monday for a pre-draft visit with the Broncos and will then travel to Arizona to meet with the Cardinals. (Ian Rapoport)
- The Ravens are scheduled to host Louisville QB Lamar Jackson this week. (Ian Rapoport)
Saints HC Sean Payton tells Peter King of TheMMQB.com that he doesn’t believe any of the quarterback prospects in this year’s draft are as good as Andrew Luck or Carson Wentz coming out years ago.
“I don’t see Luck in this draft, and I don’t see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft,” Payton said. “I’d feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can’t create ’em. I wouldn’t be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I’d guess it would be Sam Darnold.”
- Stanford S Justin Reid is scheduled to visit with the Panthers and Steelers this week. (Ian Rapoport)
- Auburn edge rusher Jeff Holland has “heavy interest” from the Jets and Broncos. (Aaron Wilson)
- Arizona DB Dane Cruikshank visited with the Chargers over the weekend and is meeting with the Saints, Titans and Broncos this week. (Ian Rapoport)