Home / 49ers / NFL Notes: Mike Liedtke, Dolphins, Jets, Redskins & Steelers
NFL Notes: Mike Liedtke, Dolphins, Jets, Redskins & Steelers
- The Chiefs and 49ers plan to host G Mike Liedtke for a workout at some point next week. (Brett Tessler)
- James Walker of ESPN provides three players that the Dolphins could look to trade prior to the Nov. 3 deadline, including WR Rishard Matthews, DE Olivier Vernon, and DT Earl Mitchell.
- Walker envisions Matthews being moved due to the presence of Kenny Stills, Greg Jennings and first-round pick DeVante Parker. It is worth mentioning that Matthews requested to be traded or released during the offseason, as he felt “overlooked” on the depth chart.
- Walker could see Vernon being expendable, due to him being in the final year of his contract and Miami having DT Ndamukong Suh, DE Terrence Fede and DE Derrick Shelby on the roster.
- Walker notes that Miami could move Mitchell, as defensive end is a strong position of depth for the team. However, Mitchell’s back injury could halt any interest from other teams.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN does not think the Jets will trade QB Geno Smith at any point this season, as his market appears to be “null and void” at this point in time.
- Cimini also believes the Jets’ 3-1 record and possibility to become a playoff team is a large reason to keep Smith in-house. With Bryce Petty being the next quarterback underneath Smith on the depth chart, keeping Smith in the event Ryan Fitzpatrick goes down with an injury would be pivotal for New York’s playoff chances.
- Regardless, Cimini expects the Jets to explore trade options for Smith during the offseason, and him possibly fetching a sixth or seventh-round draft pick.
Tags Bryce Petty DeVante Parker Earl Mitchell Geno Smith Greg Jennings Kenny Stills Mike Liedtke Olivier Vernon Rishard Matthews Ri’Shard Anderson Ryan Fitzpatrick