Mike Mayock of NFL Media took part in a conference call on Thursday to discuss the upcoming draft. Here are some highlights:
- Mayock believes the Browns could move up to No. 5 overall without giving up a first-round pick. (Chase Goodbread)
- If Marcus Mariota is still on the board at No. 6 overall, Mayock says the Jets should “sprint to turn in the draft card.“
- Mayock still believes USC DL Leonard Williams would make the most sense for the Titans if they trade down. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock considers Alabama WR Amari Cooper to be “safer” than WVU WR Kevin White and can thinks you could make a compelling case for the Jaguars to take a receiver at No. 3. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock has Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon as his No. 1 running back back, and not just because of Todd Gurley’s ACL injury. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock confirmed that there is “significant concern” about Boise State RB Jay Ajayi’s knee, but still thinks he goes in the second round and no worse than the third. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock mentioned that Mississippi LB Benardrick McKinney makes sense in the Packers defensive scheme. (Chase Goodbread)
- Sticking with the Packers, Mayock believes they would have to strongly consider Washington CB Marcus Peters or LSU CB Jalen Collins if they’re available to them at No. 30. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock considers Oregon DL Arik Armstead to be a “perfect fit” for the 49ers based on their needs. (CFB 24/7)
- Mayock wouldn’t be surprised if Bears take receiver at No. 7. (CFB 24/7)
- Ian Rapoport reports that Missouri DE/OLB Shane Ray saw a foot specialist today, who recommended that he not undergo surgery on his injured toe.
- Dane Brugler is keeping an eye on the Rams and Saints as potential fits for Baylor QB Bryce Petty in round two.
- Tony Pauline reports that the Raiders, Chiefs and Patriots are showing “a lot of interest” in Villanova OL Vince Kowalski, who could be a late-round pick.
- Montana OLB/DE Zack Wagenmann, who was projected to be a mid-to-late round pick, suffered a broken foot during a pre-draft workout. (Adam Caplan)
- Navy long snapper Joe Cardona has drawn interest from the Patriots, Eagles, Chiefs, Bears, Colts and Vikings. (Aaron Wilson)
- Adam Caplan reports that Hobart OL Ali Marpet visited with the earlier this week.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Patriots are working out USC WR Nelson Agholor on Thursday.
- Aaron Wilson reports that Ravens RB Fitzgerald Toussaint is expected to sign his $510,000 exclusive-rights tender at some point in the near future.