Joel Corry of CBS Sports takes a look at some players who could earn performance bonuses included in their contracts in the final weeks of the season and others who no longer have a shot.
Some of the notable players set to earn bonuses include:
- Vikings QB Sam Bradford: $3.25M
- Titans RB DeMarco Murray: $1.85M
- Dolphins DE Cameron Wake: $1.275M
- Broncos LT Russell Okung: $3M
- Mike Miller of B/R believes the 49ers must prioritize targeting one of the top quarterback prospects in next year’s draft — Deshaun Watson, DeShone Kizer or Mitch Trubisky.
- Bills HC Rex Ryan mentioned that OLB Bryson Albright has a good chance of being promoted this weekend for their Week 14 matchup. (Joe Buscaglia)
- Browns HC Hue Jackson explained that the decision to start Robert Griffin III for their Week 14 games was because he gave them the best shot at winning. (Mary Kay Cabot)
- Jackson confirmed that rookie Cody Kessler will be their backup quarterback on Sunday. (Nate Ulrich)
- According to Joel Corry, the Browns could have a staggering $125 million or so of salary cap space to work with next year if they release QB Robert Griffin III and CB Tramon Williams.
Packers HC Mike McCarthy told reporters on Thursday that suspended DL Mike Pennel “has an issue” but they plan to stand by him, despite his latest ban.
“Personally Mike, he has an issue,” McCarthy said, via ESPN.com. “And it’s important, it’s the focus of our football program to help him through this time. That’s really my focus, and that’s really the conversation that I had with Mike Pennel.
“It’s disappointing because Mike’s one of our guys,” McCarthy said. “He’s part of our defensive-line rotation. A rotation that’s been very healthy, especially since he’s come back. So it just really creates other opportunities for other players and that’s the way we’ll go.”