Steelers president Art Rooney said that playoff expansion will “probably not” be decided this year.
“I’m not necessarily opposed to the idea of adding a playoff team or adding a team from each conference. But my view on that depends a lot on what goes with it. Schedule is certainly a factor: When would this game be played? The fact that we would now wind up with likely only having one team in each conference with a bye is not a great outcome,” Rooney said, via the Associated Press. “There are things like that I think we would have to look at and think through before a decision is made on this, and that may be one reason why this is probably not a decision that gets made this year.
“There are things like that I think we would have to look at and think through before a decision is made on this, and that may be one reason why this is probably not a decision that gets made this year.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the 49ers have hired Jason Tarver as their defensive assistant and linebackers coach.
- Vic Tafur reports that Tarver will receive a three-year contract from San Francisco.
- John Kryk reports that the Bills have fired director of pro personnel Tom Gibbons.
- Manish Mehta reports that Vanderbilt OC Karl Dorrell is expected to join the Jets’ staff.
- Jets owner Woody Johnson told reporters on Wednesday that consultants Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf are done helping the team, but they could have some sort relationship with them in the future. (Rich Cimini)
- CB Richard Sherman (elbow) said he doesn’t expect to be limited in any way during the Super Bowl. (John Boyle)
- President Art Rooney said that they will stick with their 3-4 defense under new DC Keith Butler. (Ed Bouchette)
- Rooney did say that they’ve yet to make any decisions regarding personnel, but they will be in contact with veterans OLB James Harrison, S Troy Polamalu, CB Ike Taylor, and DE Brett Keisel in the coming weeks. (Ed Bouchette)