NFL Notes: Raiders, Saints, Steelers
- Bill Williamson of ESPN could see a team trading for QB Matt McGloin to be a backup if he has a strong preseason performance.
- Williamson believes RB Trent Richardson will have a role in the offense, regardless if Latavius Murray has a breakout season.
- Second-year cornerbacks Keith McGill and T.J. Carrie have appeared with the first-team for much of minicamp, D.J. Hayden has appeared mostly with the second unit. However, Williamson adds that the competition for first-string duties is “far from over“.
- Mike Triplett writes that it’s safe to assume Saints DC Rob Ryan won’t survive another disappointing season.
- Triplett adds that Dennis Allen taking over for Ryan if the defense underwhelms isn’t a guarantee given that he would shoulder a portion of the blame.
- Triplett considers CB Brandon Browner to be a “great fit” for the Saints defense because he is one of the NFL’s “most imposing physical press corners.“
- In regards to undrafted free agents, Triplett thinks there’s a good chance the Saints will keep one of their undrafted defensive lineman — Kaleb Eulls, Bobby Richardson or Tavaris Barnes.
- Undrafted TE Jack Tabb has a chance to make it as the team’s fourth tight end, according to Triplett.
- Another undrafted rookie to keep an eye on is OL Sean Hickey, who has gotten some work with the second-team offense.
- According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, the Steelers’ cap space will increase to around $22 million when the league’s overall cap limit rises to $150 million.
- Fowler expects DE Cameron Heyward to be the Steelers’ “first splash” in regards to re-signing current players.
- Fowler believes re-signing OT Kelvin Beachum sooner rather than later “makes sense“, due to his growing momentum from his performance last season. Beachum could earn a hefty payday if he continues to play at a high level.
- G David DeCastro and RB Le’Veon Bell are another two players that Fowler insists the Steelers “must plan” to re-sign, even though they are under contract for another two seasons.
Tags Bobby Richardson Brandon Browner Cameron Heyward D.J. Hayden David DeCastro Dennis Allen Jack Tabb Kaleb Eulls Keith McGill Kelvin Beachum Latavius Murray Le'Veon Bell Matt McGloin Rob Ryan Sean Hickey T.J. Carrie Tavaris Barnes Trent Richardson