- Cam Inman reports that QB Colin Kaepernick will undergo surgery on his left shoulder on Tuesday in Denver.
- With the 49ers placing Kaepernick on season-ending injured reserve for their final seven games, it cost Kaepernick $875,000 in total. He has a 2015 46-man active roster bonus of $2 million, according to Joel Corry.
- Adam Caplan points out that the date to watch in regards to Kaepernick next year is April 1, which is when his base salary of $11.9 million becomes fully guaranteed.
Regarding the idea of possibly expanding the regular season to 17 games, NFLPA president Eric Winston said he doesn’t think it makes a lot of sense, but add: “I never say never about anything.”
“As far as expanding regular season games, I just don’t see what the use is at this point,” Winston said during an interview with FOX Sports 910 Phoenix. “We’ve got a great game. 16 games is plenty. . . . I don’t think there’s a lot of guys around the league that are interested in playing more games. I don’t know how it makes sense.”
“I never say never about anything,” Winston added. “To me if just doesn’t seem to make sense, but you never know what comes down in the future.”
Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk mentions that a 17-game season could be part of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Florio suggests expanding the regular season to 17 games, cutting preseason games to four, and adding a second bye week.
This would also allow the NFL to continue with their plans to play more international games in the coming years.
- The Packers downgraded CB Damarious Randall (hamstring) to questionable for Sunday’s game vs. Vikings.
- WR Ty Montgomery (ankle) was downgraded to doubtful.
- DB Micah Hyde (hip) and G T.J. Lang (shoulder) were upgraded to probably.
- The Rams downgraded DE Robert Quinn to out for Week 11’s game with a hip injury.