Home 49ers NFL Notes: Reuben Foster, Colin Kaepernick, 49ers
- Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reports that 49ers LB Reuben Foster is “cooperating fully” with the investigations being conducted by both the NFL and authorities after he was recently arrested on charges including domestic violence involving his girlfriend.
- According to Maiocco, Foster is also cooperating with the 49ers and has spoken with GM John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan “multiple times” by phone and in person.
- Maiocco mentions that there appear to be enough unknowns and gray area with this case to allow the situation to play out.
- While it’s possible Foster could remain with the team, Maoicco believes San Francisco will need to approach this offseason as if he will not be available for the entire 2018 season.
- Jason La Canfora reports that Colin Kaepernick‘s legal team has requested deposition of former Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter. La Canfora adds that Kaepernick’s lawyers want to probe Schnatter for their collusion case regarding any role Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had in Schnatter’s remarks about how player protests had hurt his business.
- According to Charles Robinson, Kaepernick’s legal team has added Jane Goodell, the wife of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to their list of deposition requests this week regarding his collusion case against the NFL.
- Robinson explains that Jane Goodell’s inclusion comes after it was determined she had been using a Twitter account to defend her husband against articles and comments critical of his handling of league issues.
- Other individuals requested for depositions include Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, Bob McNair, John Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, Ozzie Newsome, John Schneider, Troy Vincent and Arthur McAfee.
- Matt Maiocco expects the 49ers to look into re-signing MLB Brock Coyle now that they could be without Reuben Foster for a portion of the 2018 season, depending on what happens with his domestic violence case.
- Maiocco believes San Francisco must add another veteran inside linebacker in free agency and select a talented young player in the draft to round out their depth at the position.
- If the 49ers are to draft a linebacker, Matt Barrows believes Tremaine Edmunds would make more sense for them than Roquan Smith.
- Jaguars free agent LB Paul Posluszny has ties to 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, but Barrows thinks it’s more likely they would target a younger player who could also help on special teams.
- Barrows doesn’t expect the 49ers to make a large effort to re-sign S Eric Reid, let along franchise him.
- Barrows thinks TE Jimmy Graham would be a great signing for the 49ers in free agency, as he would give Jimmy Garoppolo a big target and help them in the red-zone.
- We some of these players featured in our Top 100 – 2018 NFL Free Agents list.