Cowboys owner Jerry Jones denied the recent ESPN report that he was holding up a potential extension for commissioner Roger Goodell, saying it’s “without any substance at all.”
“All of that is without any substance at all,” Jones said Sunday, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “The exercise of looking and extending our Commissioner’s contract is one that we keep really in tight. There are certainly exaggerations there. That’s not the way that works. I’ve always supported Roger and let’s just leave it at that. I wouldn’t get into the nuances and deny anything that was written, whether it was true or not.”
Many have pointed to the fact that Goodell handed down a six-game suspension for Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott as an obvious conflict of interest for Jones. However, he downplayed this as being an issue of contention for him in regards to a new deal for Goodell.
“I could understand why ironically we’ve got the Zeke issue at the same time that we’re looking at extending Roger’s contract, that he made the ruling,” Jones said. “I see that. But every day I deal with conflicts of interest and he deals with it, the Commissioner deals with it every day. You just have to get used to that. You look at the issue as the issue.”
- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan announced Monday that S Eric Reid has a PCL in his left knee, but it won’t require surgery. The expectation, according to Shanahan, is that Reid will be out at least one week. (Matt Maiocco)
- Cardinals HC Bruce Arians told reporters on Monday that RB Chris Johnson could move up depth chart but it’s something they need to sort out this week. (Darren Urban)
- Arians said that it doesn’t look like WR John Brown will play against the Cowboys in Week 3. (Kent Somers)
- Rob Demovsky reported that the Packers don’t believe WR Jordy Nelson, WR Randall Cobb or DT Mike Daniels have long-term injuries and it’s likely that they’re all day to day or week to week.
- According to Ian Rapoport, an MRI on Cobb’s shoulder revealed “nothing major” and he’s considered day-to-day.
- As for Daniels, Rapoport says that he has a minor hamstring injury.