The NFL announced a number of rule and bylaw changes on Wednesday that will be considered by the Competition Committee at next week’s meet, via Pro Football Talk.
Notable/interesting rule proposals:
- Any penalty to be challenged.
- Personal fouls to be challenged.
- All fouls resulting in automatic first downs to be reviewable.
- Increase coaches’ challenges from to three.
- Add time to the game clock to the list of things that can be reviewed at the end of the half and the end of the game.
- Give teams an extra point attempt after after a two-point conversions.
- Both teams would get a possession in overtime.
- Force eligible players that report as an ineligible receiver to align within the tackle box.
Proposed Bylaw changes:
- Eliminate the 75-player cutdown date
- Changes rules to give NFL teams the ability to contract for draft prospects.
- Allow players on PUP list to being practicing earlier.
- Teams playing on Thursdays would be allowed to designate one player as eligible to return to the active list from injured reserve.
- Charles Robinson reports that the Browns are targeting the top receiver prospects in this year’s draft with Louisville WR Devante Parker being a “legit” option for them at No. 12 overall.
- According to Robinson, if the top-three receiver prospects — Kevin White, Amari Cooper, and Devante Parker — are all off the board at No. 12 overall, Cleveland could either reach for a receiver at No. 19 overall or possibly trade down.
- Daniel Jeremiah mentions that the Packers “get a lot of love” from personnel executives as being the second most talented roster in the league.
- Daniel Jeremiah mentions that personnel executives around the league consider the Seahawks to be the most talented roster in the NFL.