- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk suggests that the Patriots could be a reasonable landing spot for free agent QB Ryan Mallett.
- Florio notes that Mallett is a logical fit as a No. 2 or No. 3 backup quarterback for New England, since he was a third-round pick by the team in 2011.
- First-round rookie WR Kevin White said he is a “long way off” from playing in 2015, due to a stress fracture in his shin. (Dan Weiderer)
- Buccaneers signed WR Andre Davis to their practice squad. (Roy Cummings)
- Cummings believes WR Adam Humphries could be promoted to their active roster to replace WR Louis Murphy, who sustained a season-ending torn ACL in Week 7.
Newton points to Smith’s dislike of GM Dave Gettleman as a key reason why Smith will never return to Carolina.
“Yes, it was personal with me and Dave Gettleman,’’ Smith said on Charlotte radio station WFNZ after being released. “Obviously, I did something that got under his skin.’’
Newton adds that Ravens HC John Harbaugh has said that there is “no chance” of them trading Smith away. Smith took it a step further and said that he would retire if the Ravens traded him. n
All things considered, it seems clear that the Ravens will not be trading Smith in the foreseeable future.
- According to Vic Tafur, the early sense with the team is that WR Michael Crabtree would like to test free agency this offseason.
- Tafur mentions that there has been no word regarding any long-term plans for Crabtree.
- HC Ken Whisenhunt said that he’s not ready to make a decision regarding QB Marcus Mariota (MCL) and hopes he is able to resume practice on Wednesday. (Ed Werder)