Sam Bradford Trade
- Adam Schefter reports that if the Vikings reach NFC Championship game, the fourth-round pick they’re sending to the Eagles as part of the Sam Bradford trade would actually be a third-round pick.
- In this scenario, the Eagles would also send the Vikings a seventh-round pick.
An opposing NFL coach tells Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he believes rookie QB Cody Kessler can be Cleveland’s long-term answer at the position, depending on how he continues to develop.
“Kessler can be the long-term answer for the Browns if he continues to get better,” the coach said. “[Head coach] Hue Jackson is doing a great job with him just like he did with Andy Dalton and others.”
Browns HC Hue Jackson referred to Kessler as “one of the better rookie quarterbacks [he’s] coached.”
“He’s is one of the better rookie quarterbacks I’ve coached,” said Jackson. “I’ve had some real good rookies before, Joe Flacco, to name one, and I’m sure I have had some others, but he’s done an outstanding job.”
- According to Jason La Canfora, the Jets made the decision to bench Ryan Fitzpatrick after they reviewed the game film from their loss to the Cardinals.
- La Canfora mentions that Fitzpatrick was in danger of losing his job for a few weeks before the team elected to go with Geno Smith.
- The issues for Fitzpatrick include him struggling to make reads and follow his keys, protecting the ball, staying within the framework of the offense, and forcing the ball to Brandon Marshall.
- Sources have told La Canfora that quarterback switch was supported within the organization, as frustration with Fitzpatrick has been mounting since the spring.
- La Canfora adds that it’s still possible Bryce Petty could play at some point this season, depending on how Smith fares.