An NFL evaluator tells Albert Breer that some of the issues impacting USC QB Sam Darnold’s play this season include “a slight hitch” in his throwing motion and his tendency to stare down receivers.
In fact, the evaluator went as far to say that he doesn’t think Darnold is ready for the NFL.
“He has a slight hitch, a wind-up in his throw, and he does stare down receivers,” said the evaluator. “He’s still learning to read defenses. This is a young kid. Not ready for primetime yet. He has the tools, but he’s too inconsistent, and the hype doesn’t help him either. Overall, he has a lot of ability but he’s just not there yet.”
- Josh Weinfuss takes a look at some potential options for the Cardinals when it comes to replacing OLB Markus Golden, who was lost for the season with an ACL injury this past weekend.
- Weinfuss mentions Kareem Martin and rookie Haason Reddick as internal candidates along with practice squad players Bryson Albright, Obum Gwachum and Earl Okine.
- Should the Cardinals look to the free agent market, Weinfuss suggests bringing back veteran OLB Dwight Freeney.
- However, Alex Marvez reports that it “doesn’t sound like” the Cardinals are pursuing Freeney or other free agent pass rushers at this point in time.
- Cardinals HC Bruce Arians confirmed that they will go with Reddick in place of Golden to start out: “He’s gonna get to do what he does best.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- Packers RB Ty Montgomery said he has “multiple” broken ribs, but his Week 5 availability will be determined at some point this week.
- Rob Demovsky mentions that Montgomery is “exploring different ways” to protect his midsection.
- Adam Schefter, citing a source, reports that Packers WR Davante Adams (concussion) could play in Week 5.
- Packers RB Jamaal Williams (knee) said he’s “good” and believes he can play Week 5 against the Cowboys. (Packers.com)
- Redskins HC Jay Gruden said LT Trent Williams is undergoing an MRI on his knee, RB Rob Kelley is “day to day” with a sprained ankle, and CB Josh Norman is “week to week” with a fractured rib. (Redskins)
- Gruden added that WR Josh Doctson suffered a shoulder strain during Week 4 and S Deshazor Everett is dealing with a hamstring injury. (Redskins)