A rival NFC executive tells Albert Breer of NFL Media that it’s going to be awhile before Saints are rebuilt into a contender.
“There’s a lot of work to do there,” said the executive, “And it’s gonna take time.”
Breer wonders if HC Sean Payton, who is already rumored to be interested in hearing from other teams regarding potential opportunities, is going to hang around that long.
Should Payton end up being available, which would come down to the Saints’ willingness to move on from, Breer writes that he would have no shortage of options.
The Dolphins continue to come up as a speculative landing spot for Payton, but Breer points out that Payton is close to Tony Sparano and Bill Parcells, who could steer him away from Dolphins owner Stephen Ross.
Breer believes the Colts would be an attractive option, based solely on the fact that they have QB Andrew Luck in place as their franchise quarterback.
However, Breer adds that the Giants could also be an option that appeals to Payton, given that he was previously their offensive coordinator.
- HC Jim Tomsula says he “expects” RB Carlos Hyde to play in Week 6, despite him being listed as questionable with a foot injury. (Matt Maiocco)
- Albert Breer writes that even though the Lions have opened the season with an 0-5 record, “it might seem rash to consider the future of Lions coach Jim Caldwell shaky.“
- Breer does admit that the ownership structure in Detroit makes it fair to wonder if changes could eventually come, barring improvement.
- WR Steve Smith said “my expectation of playing is very low” for Week 6, as he is still recovering from a micro-fracture he sustained in his back during Week 4. (Ravens’ Official Site)
- The Ravens have listed Smith and the following players as questionable for Week 6, RB Justin Forsett (ankle), LB Elvis Dumervil (thigh), TE Crockett Gillmore (calf), WR Chris Givens (ankle), and G Marshal Yanda (ankle). CB Lardarius Webb is listed as doubtful with a thigh injury.
- At this point in time, Smith and Forsett are both considered to be game-time decisions. (Jamison Hensley)
- HC Pete Carroll said he is “preparing” to have recently acquired CB Crezdon Butler active on Week 6. (Liz Mathews)