- Jason Cole reports that Saints HC Sean Payton could have been the Colts’ head coach this season had he been willing to reduce his salary from $10 million per year to $8 million.
Chargers & Rams
- According to Jason Cole, the Rams and possibly the Chargers face the same dilemma of hiring the best coach or hiring best coach who can help sell PSLs and tickets in Los Angeles.
- Jason La Canfora, citing sources with knowledge of the situation, reports that the Texans HC Bill O’Brien could have faced “significant” backlash from the locker room had he not named Tom Savage the team’s starting quarterback this week.
- La Canfora says that some Texans’ players have gone from being “lukewarm about the continued struggles of former starter Brock Osweiler to, in the case of some, privately championing Savage with their playoff hopes on the line.”
- The decision to pursue Osweiler as a free agent was heavily influenced by ownership and the coaching staff had a minimal role in the decision to sign him to a big-money deal.