Falcons HC Dan Quinn confirmed that there are definitely some trade “whispers” going around behind the scenes right now.
“Sometimes right at that last week of the preseason you might see some trades,” Quinn said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Often times, you might see some this week, too. People with their backs to the wall and they took their time making decisions. But yeah, there are definitely some behind the scenes whispers about some stuff.”
In the end, Quinn said that there’s unlikely to be a lot of trade action before Tuesday’s deadline.
“It’s funny,” Quinn said. “It’s like there isn’t much, then all of a sudden there is like three or four. People will do a little of talking, it’s like man, we had awhile to talk. I remember that from last year, my first experience of it and remember some of the challenges.”
- Chiefs trainer Rick Burkholder told reporters on Monday that QB Alex Smith didn’t suffer a concussion in Sunday’s win over the Colts. (Adam Teicher)
- Instead, Smith was ruled out of Sunday’s game because he was in the concussion protocol the second time, but he did pass those tests. (BJ Kissel)
- Smith is going to see an independent neurologist in Kansas City this week just to be sure. (BJ Kissel)
- According to Burkholder, Smith has hematomas behind both ears and he thinks the lacerated ear might have had something to do with the way he looked. (Terez A. Paylor)
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson told reporters on Tuesday that they’re unlikely to make a trade in the next 24 hours or so: “As far as I know, we’re not making any moves.” (Josh Paunil)
- Mark Long reports that the Jaguars are bringing in quarterback guru Adam Dedeaux to work on Blake Bortles‘ mechanics.
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said ESPN 710 Monday that DE Michael Bennett is having surgery today, but he’s optimistic Bennett will end up missing just 2-3 weeks. (John Boyle)