Here are five trades the writers at NFL.com would like to see happen by next week’s trade deadline. These are just speculative ideas, but they’re interesting nonetheless.
- Bears trade RB Matt Forte to the Giants.
- Lions trade WR Calvin Johnson to the Panthers.
- Browns trade CB Joe Haden and C Alex Mack to the Jaguars.
- 49ers trade TE Vernon Davis to the Broncos.
- Buccaneers trade RB Doug Martin to the Panthers.
For a more in-depth look at logic behind these suggestions, head over to NFL.com.
- Mike Garafolo reports that DE Jason Pierre-Paul‘s new deal with the Giants includes $1.5 million base salary guarantees, and another $1.5 million in per-game roster bonuses.
- JPP’s playtime and sack incentives can increase the deal up $8.7 million, which is what he would have earned under the franchise tender, according to Garafolo.
- In the end, if Pierre-Paul is active for seven games, he’ll make $3 million at least before testing the open market next year.
- Aaron Wilson reports that the Giants received a roster exemption for Pierre-Paul that expires on November 9.
- Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict, who underwent microfracture knee surgery during the offseason, will return to practice on Thursday. (Jim Owczarski)
- According to Ian Rapoport, Burfict received clearance from Dr. Neal ElAttrache, who performed his surgery, last night.
- Rapoport adds that Burfict hasn’t been ruled out for Sunday’s game as of now.
- Browns HC Mike Pettine said of QB Josh McCown: “He is truly day-to-day, hoping he might be able to practice tomorrow.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- Regarding Johnny Manziel, Pettine said: “[F]rom a football standpoint the trust factor has improved dramatically with Manziel.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)