Home / Bills / NFL Notes: Tyrod Taylor, Eddie Lacy, Terence Newman, Cardinals, Panthers
NFL Notes: Tyrod Taylor, Eddie Lacy, Terence Newman, Cardinals, Panthers
- Mike Rodak reports that Tyrod Taylor‘s new contract with the Bills shows he agreed to a pay cut as part of the restructured deal.
- Taylor will receive $30.5 million from 2017 and 2018 before becoming an unrestricted free agent for the 2019 season.
- Rodak says that the Bills were ready to sign veteran QB Brian Hoyer if they were unable to sign Taylor to a reworked contract.
- Buffalo can get out of Taylor’s contract after the 2017 season, as just $1 million of his $10 million base salary is guaranteed for the 2018 season, per Rodak.
- Free agent CB Terence Newman mentioned in an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio that he plans on playing next season and hopes to get something done in next few days. According to Newman, he has a “deal that is imminent.“
- Newman did, however, stress that playing for a contender is important to him at this point in his career: Newman: “The only reason I’m playing the game right now is to win a ring. Team I’m signing with absolutely has a chance to win.” (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- The Vikings reportedly met with Newman’s reps last month, so they figure to be a team worth keeping an eye on in the coming days. (NFLTR)
- According to Kent Somers, the Cardinals plan is to use Andre Ellington more at receiver than running back next year.
- Somes adds that Ellington will still see carries at times, but the team likes what he brings to their offense as a receiver.
- Mike Florio, citing a source with knowledge of the deal, reports that LT Matt Kalil‘s new five-year, $55.5 million contract with the Panthers is really just a one-year $13 million contract with $1 million guaranteed in 2018.
- The Panthers face a decision next year between the first and fifth day of the 2018 league year whether to exercise a $10 million option bonus for the 2021 season. Florio adds that there’s a $10 million non-exercise fee for 2018 and the only way to avoid paying this option would be cut him or trade him.
Tags Andre Ellington Eddie Lacy Matt Kalil Tyrod Taylor