Home 49ers NFL Rumors: 49ers, Chargers, Patriots, Saints, & Seahawks
- 49ers HC Chip Kelly and QBs coach Ryan Day were among a large contingent of San Francisco coaches and scouts at Cal’s pro day to see QB Jared Goff on Friday. (Matt Maiocco)
- Eric D. Williams of ESPN writes that the Chargers need a succession plan for veteran TE Antonio Gates.
- Williams suggests Jared Cook, Owen Daniels and Vernon Davis as some short-term free agent options for the Chargers.
- In the draft, Williams believes Ohio State’s Nick Vanett, South Carolina’s Jerell Adams or Stanford’s Austin Hooper could all make sense for San Diego.
- The Patriots promoted Steve Belichick to safeties coach. (Doug Kyed)
- Former Patriots safeties coach Brian Flores will now coach linebackers. (Doug Kyed)
- Long-time offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia is officially back with the team. (Doug Kyed)
- Jerry Schulpinski will assist Josh McDaniels as Patriots quarterback coach. (Doug Kyed)
- Mike Triplett of ESPN writes that the Saints could have some new found urgency to sign QB Drew Brees to an extension for cap relief now that they have very little cap space to work with.
- Even though New Orleans could really use some more cap room, Triplett doesn’t see them acting out of desperation or giving Brees any more leverage than he already has in contract talks.
- The recent contracts signed by quarterbacks could leave Brees seeking as much as $22 million per year in a new contract, and if he were to test the open market, Triplett believes he could secure as much as $25 million per year.
- Should the Saints agree to pay Brees a top-level salary, Triplett points out that they could still pick up over $10 million in cap room for the 2016 season.
- Bob Condotta was told that the Seahawks did not have a contract offer on the table for OT Russell Okung when he signed on with the Broncos Thursday.
- Seattle did, however, talk to Okung about a return initially, according to Condotta.