According to Scott Petrak, the Browns had a contingent of HC Hue Jackson, assistant HC Pep Hamilton and executive Andrew Berry on hand to observe North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz at his Pro Day on Thursday.
Petrak writes that Wentz showed mixed results when Hamilton doused the football with water to simulate weather situations.
“I wasn’t surprised. I wasn’t sure if he was going to do it with me or not,” Wentz said. “But I just had to get used to the first one and obviously it went right into the dirt. But I got the feel for it after that, and I thought it was all right.”
Regardless, Wentz improved on his next several passes while Jackson said came away impressed with him.
“He had a good day. Very impressive,” said Jackson.
- Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports the Jets front office told QB Robert Griffin III before he signed with the Browns that they do not want to lose QB Ryan Fitzpatrick because of his locker room presence and chemistry with rest of the offense.
- As things stand right now, Mehta believes the odds of Fitzpatrick leaving the Jets is “slim.“
- According to Mehta, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan is aware that his offer to Fitzpatrick is well under the $16 million annual average market price for quarterbacks, but is “fully confident” that no one will top his offer.
- While Mehta writes that Fitzpatrick’s representation realizes that they will not receive a contract around $16 million per year, a happy medium could be achieved by increasing their current offer by a few million.
- Mehta names the Buccaneers’ Mike Glennon, the Browns’ Josh McCown, and the Texans’ Brian Hoyer as other possible options at quarterback or the Jets.
- Scouts told Dane Brugler of CBS Sports that the Steelers cannot hide their affinity for Houston CB Will Jackson III and believe they will end up drafting him.
- Aaron Wilson reports that Jackson met with Steelers HC Mike Tomlin, GM Kevin Colbert and DBs coach Carnell Lake Wednesday night.
- According to Brandon George, the Steelers also showed heavy interest in Baylor DT Andrew Billings at his Pro Day.