- According to Peter King of MMQB, Broncos OT Russell Okung contacted Denver regarding his free agent candidacy instead of the Broncos reaching out to him.
- King adds that the Lions offered Okung a contract that payed a similar first-year salary to what the Broncos signed him to, while the Giants and Steelers discussed a contract with Okung, but never made him an offer.
- Aaron Wilson reports that Auburn CB Jonathan Jones is scheduled to visit with the Steelers.
- According to Wilson, Houston LB Elandon Roberts boosted his draft stock at his Pro Day after teams came away impressed with his mobility, power and success during position drills.
- Wilson adds that Texans LB coach Mike Vrabel supervised Roberts’ workouts.
- Mary Kay Cabot writes that although Browns owner Jimmy Haslam did not instruct his personnel to pursue QB Robert Griffin III, it was HC Hue Jackson‘s excitement about him was convincing enough to sign Griffin.
- According to Cabot, the NFL is still gathering information on whether suspended WR Josh Gordon took the necessary steps to gain reinstatement during his year-long suspension.
- Cabot mentions that Gordon would have helped himself immensely by checking into inpatient rehab in order to show commissioner Roger Goodell that he is taking his career seriously.
- Cabot believes the Browns will either trade or release QB Josh McCown and thinks Cleveland could gain a late-round pick in exchange for him.
- Although the team is still strongly considering North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz or California QB Jared Goff with the No. 2 overall pick, Cabot thinks Grffin will initially be the starter regardless of who they draft.
“It’s going to be a big year for him,” Caldwell said. “Alex will get an opportunity to go through the workout programs, the lifting, all of those things. The teaching from a ground level. Last year he wasn’t there because of obviously finishing up school. So I think all across the board it’s going to be huge for him.”
Carter missed the entire 2015 season due to an ankle injury he sustained during preseason workouts last year.
- Aaron Wilson reports the Texans have invited California RB Daniel Lasco to their local prospect workout day on April 6.
- Wilson also reports that Angelo State QB Kyle Washington has been invited to the Texans’ local prospect day.
- According to Wilson, Utah State QB Chuckie Keeton was also invited to the Texans’ local prospect day.
- Wilson‘s sources also indicate that Houston WR Demarcus Ayers has been invited to the Texans’ local prospect day