Now that Ken Whisenhunt has been fired by the Titans, speculation is already circulating that Eagles HC Chip Kelly could have interest in job, seeing as he’s been the biggest support of rookie QB Marcus Mariota.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk takes a look at what would need to happen in order for Kelly to end up in Tennessee with Mariota.
- Charles Robinson mentions that the Eagles would be looking for first-round compensation in return for Kelly, assuming they’re even willing to entertain the idea of parting ways with their head coach.
- Albert Breer mentions that many around the NFL feel like there could be as many as 10-12 head-coaching openings in January.
- Breer adds that NFL teams are getting antsy about the “cupboard being bare in 2017,” which could create domino effect.
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media is hearing the Browns want more than first-round pick for LT Joe Thomas, who is arguably the best available player ahead of today’s trade deadline.
- Rapoport adds that Cleveland was looking for a third-round pick for C Alex Mack before he announced that he won’t be waiving his no-trade clause.
- As for OLB Barkevious Mingo, Rapoport reports that the Browns are also looking for a third-round pick in return for him.
- Tony Grossi mentions that the Browns could field offers for Mingo, CB Justin Gilbert, and QB Johnny Manziel, but they’re unlikely to get any more than a conditional draft pick in return.
- Grossi suggests that OLB Paul Kruger could appeal to a contending team like the Cardinals.
- Alex Marvez mentioned that NFL folks have been circling around potential head coaching and GM jobs such as the Titans, and waiting for them to open.
- Marvez adds that the Titans’ job has “huge appeal” because of rookie QB Marcus Mariota and absentee owners who are willing to spend.
- Jason La Canfora believes the Titans may be able to lure a “big fish” candidate to Tennessee if they can get their ownership situation sorted out.
- Daniel Jeremiah points out that former Lions HC Jim Schwartz lives in Nashville and had a lot of success in the Titans organization as their defensive coordinator.