Home Bears NFL Rumors: Donte Whitner, Draft, Jets, & Patriots
- Jeremy Fowler mentions that the Steelers could take a look at recently released S Donte Whitner. However, Fowler tends to think they want to get younger at safety.
- Bill Williamson could see Whitner making some sense for the Raiders.
- Rand Getlin reports that Cal TE Stephen Anderson had an impressive workout with the Falcons and has a workout lined up with the Saints for Monday.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN writes that if the Broncos are able to complete a trade for 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick, it should result in the heat being turned up on the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick.
- With the Broncos possibly out of the mix, Fitzpatrick’s only option could be to play for the Jets at a salary of around $7 million.
- Cimini mentions that the Jets could show interest in veteran quarterbacks such as Brian Hoyer or Josh McCown if Fitzpatrick takes a hard-line stance in regards to his pay.
- According to Cimini, the Jets have “zero interest” in free agent pass rusher Greg Hardy.
- In regards to newly signed LB Bruce Carter, Cimini could see him operating as a third-down linebacker with Erin Henderson playing on first and second down.
- Cimini believes the Bears could be a team to watch for DE Muhammad Wilkerson in the coming weeks. If the Bears were willing to part with their No. 11 overall pick, Cimini thinks the Jets would make that trade in a minute.
- Ben Volin of the Boston Globe writes that the new extension signed by Patriots S Patrick Chung could effect WR Julian Edelman and TE Rob Gronkowski, as both players have outplayed their respective contracts.
- Volin believes it’s likely the Patriots will try to reward Edelman and Gronkowski, possibly by taking future base salaries and converting them into signing bonus money.
- Mike Reiss gets the sense that Terrance Knighton‘s contract with the Patriots is closer to one-year, $2 million deal than a one-year $4.5 million agreement. Reiss expects Knighton to have “realistic” incentives to push the deal up to $3 million.