- Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com writes that some of the team’s draft at the top of round one next year may feel comfortable passing on quarterbacks and look to trade down.
- As of now, the top-five picks are projected to be the Browns, 49ers, Giants, Colts and Buccaneers, in that order. Jeremiah mentions that of this group, the Browns and Giants are the clubs that will likely feel the greatest sense of urgency to land a quarterback early.
According to Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com, the 49ers were not enamored with the top quarterback prospects in college football.
This explains why the 49ers decided to trade for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo on Monday.
Jeremiah says that 49ers GM John Lynch didn’t care to wait around to see what quarterback options could develop in the draft.
While Jeremiah is still “very high” on some of the top quarterback prospects, he says that there are a lot of folks who are “disenchanted with the ups and downs of the group.”
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Broncos are considering a quarterback change, and if they end up going with a different starter, it would likely be Paxton Lynch.
- While Ian Rapoport confirms that while the Broncos are mulling a quarterback change, he says that they could instead go with Brock Osweiler, seeing as Lynch has only practiced three times.
- Following Monday’s loss to the Chiefs, Broncos HC Vance Joseph wouldn’t commit to Trevor Siemian returning as the team’s Week 9 starter. (Nicki Jhabvala)
- This probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise after the Dolphins agreed to send RB Jay Ajayi to the Eagles for a 2018 fourth-round pick, but Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com fully expects the Dolphins to target a running back in next year’s draft.
- According to Jeff Darlington, the Dolphins don’t believe Ajayi has much left in his knees and their trade is viewed as a “longer-term play.“
- Charles Robinson reports that Miami has already been doing due diligence on running backs and were going to go in another direction during the offseason, so getting a draft pick for Ajayi is viewed as a bonus for them.