Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports offers a number of notes regarding free agents in his latest article.
- La Canfora can’t imagine a team taking any sort of serious look at QB Johnny Manziel anytime soon, and has heard no buzz about that whatsoever about interest in him.
- According to La Canfora, the Redskins, Jets, Bears and Steelers are among the clubs looking “long and hard” at defensive linemen.
- La Canfora wouldn’t be surprised if free agent S Eric Weddle was still mulling his options come next week.
- In terms of of the second phase of free agency, La Canfora can Chargers free agent CB Patrick Robinson to do the best of the available cornerbacks.
- La Canfora believes the Seahawks signing veteran LT Donald Penn “makes a lot of sense.“
Vikings free agent LB Chad Greenway admitted that he would consider playing for another team.
“I have to consider playing for another team, if that’s the position I’m put in,” Greenway said a phone interview with Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “But I literally have not done too much (in free agency). I’ve just been kind of laying low.”
Charles Robinson reports that the Jets are frustrated with QB Ryan Fitzpatrick and believe his market outside of New York is “very thin.” According to Robinson, the Jets “aren’t going to circle with him forever.”
- According to Jason La Canfora, the Jets are willing to pay Fitzpatick around $7 million per year in a new deal, which explains why he’s considering other options.
- La Canfora mentions that the Jets are “willingly complicit” to be linked to 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick, as it could help them get some leverage in negotiations with Fitz.
- The Lions announced that they’ve re-signed LS Don Muhlbach.