Former Buccaneers HC Lovie Smith discussed his firing during an interview with FOX Sports Radio and said he was surprised and disappointed by the move.
“I definitely think there should be more patience. It takes time,” Smith said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “If you make a change, there’s something that’s wrong, and you can’t just flip a switch. Things don’t happen overnight. You have to have a plan going in and stick with that plan. When I took the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job, I thought there was a plan in place. I thought that plan was being put into action. When you’re the boss, though, you can be impatient. Normally the franchises that do take their time and give you a chance maintain that level of success.”
- Ben Volin of the Boston Globe writes that although the Patriots have been quiet in free agency so far, they could be to work on new contracts for TE Rob Gronkowski and WR Julian Edelman.
- The Patriots halso have several players on their defense who are entering the final year of their respective deals including: Malcolm Butler, Jamie Collins, Dont’a Hightower, Logan Ryan, Jabaal Sheard, Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, and Duron Harmon.
- According to Mike Reiss, Patriots G Tre’ Jackson underwent a knee scope over a month ago. However, it’s not expected to be a long-term issue.
- Reiss believes it would be “an upset” if DT Akiem Hicks were to return to the Patriots, given the level of interest from the Lions and Bears.
- Mike Triplett doesn’t see the Saints’ decision to re-sign Luke McCown as a sign that the Saints are giving up on second-year QB Garrett Grayson.
- Triplett still expects Drew Brees to be their quarterback for at least two or three more seasons.
- dJeremy Fowler of ESPN points out that Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey is due a $3.5-million roster bonus today and will make a $3.5 million base salary in 2016.
- Fowler adds that DE Cameron Heyward will receive a $5M roster bonus today.