Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that the delay in regards to Peyton Manning announcing his plans for the 2016 season could be him trying to get the Broncos to release him, rather than place him on the reserve/retired list.
If Denver adds him to this list, they would control his rights should he unretire and what to seek an opportunity with another team.
Releasing Manning would give him the opportunity to pursue any and all opportunities without restriction should a team have interest in him either in free agency or down the road.
- Joe Buscaglia mentions that the Bills are likely to continue making more roster moves including releasing some players and restructuring a few contracts to improve their immediate cap situation.
- Buscaglia suggests extending CB Stephon Gilmore‘s contract and restructuring DT Kyle Williams‘ deal.
- According to Buscaglia, DB Leodis McKelvin and S Corey Graham are two restructure candidates.
- Broncos president John Elway said of contract talks with OLB Von Miller: “We’ll continue those discussions with the goal of making sure Von remains a Bronco well into the future.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- In regards to their decision to franchise Miller, Elway said: “Designating Von as our franchise player gives us the time to continue working toward a long-term agreement.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald expects Rams DE William Hayes to be an option for the Dolphins if DE Olivier Vernon ends up signing elsewhere.
- Salguero adds that the Dolphins like Hayes “very much.”