- Jason Cole of B/R reports that Ole Miss DL Robert Nkemdiche continues to fall down draft boards the more teams look into some of his off-the-field concerns.
- Nkemdiche said that he was only drinking during the incident in which he fell out of a window and was changed for possession of marijuana. However, teams reportedly aren’t sure about his story and may not being willing to use a first-round pick on him due to these trust issues.
- Some around the league believe Nkemdiche will ultimately fall to round two, despite being one of the most talented players in the draft.
- Jason Cole of B/R reports that the new Dolphins HC Adam Gase is looking for a cutback running back who he can feature in stretch plans.
- After missing out a number of free agent running backs in the past few weeks, Cole mentions that Miami has begun to shift their focus towards the draft in regards to the running back position.
- Sources tells Cole that the Dolphins may strongly consider taking Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott in round one.
- The Dolphins officially hired Jim Washburn as their senior defensive assistant/pass rush specialist.
- Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said of the situation involving QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: “We feel we have a very good situation for Ryan [Fitzpatrick] here. He’s a very good fit for us.” (Kimberly Jones)
- Maccagnan wouldn’t discuss any specifics regarding negotiations with Fitzpatrick, but said: “We like Ryan, we’d like to have Ryan back. But at the end of the day, it’s free agency.” (Kimberly Jones)
- Maccagnan said he didn’t want to discuss hypothetical trades involving DE Muhammad Wilkerson while adding: “It’s not something we’re actively pursuing.” (Manish Mehta)
- When asked about the Robert Griffin III visit, Maccagnan said: “It was more to do our due diligence.” (Kimberly Jones)
- Mehta believes Maccagnan would “do cart wheels up and down the halls” if he could trade Wilkerson for a first-round pick.
- Maccagnan indicated that their plan is to have LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson on their roster at the start of the 2016 season: “Our thought is D’Brickashaw Ferguson will be on the roster in 2016 … but we’ll see how this thing unfolds.” (Bart Hubbuch)
- According to Maccagnan, Geno Smith could “definitely be a possibility” as a starter if Fitzpatrick departs. (Rich Cimini)
- In regards to losing DT Damon Harrison to the Giants, Maccagnan said: “The Giants were very competitive and very aggressive with that. I thought we were close when it was all said and done.” (Seth Walder)
Steelers owner president Art Rooney II told reporters on Friday that he is “disappointed” with WR Martavis Bryant, who has been suspended for a year after another substance abuse violation.
“There is not much to say other than we’re disappointed and hope that he can deal with the situation and have the discipline that is necessary to be a player in the National Football League,” Rooney said, via Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Rooney did say that they plan to support Bryant and try to get him the help he needs.
“It is very disappointing, at the same time, we hope, to the extent where it is allowable, we will try to get him help, make sure he gets rehab and those kinds of things, but it is a disappointing situation to say the least,” Rooney said.