Home / 49ers / NFL Rumors: Sean Payton, 49ers, Broncos & Colts
NFL Rumors: Sean Payton, 49ers, Broncos & Colts
- Nick Underhill of the Advocate confirms that the Rams are, in fact, interested in Saints HC Sean Payton. However, Underhill says that Los Angeles is currently focused on other coordinator candidates.
- One issue with the idea of the Rams trading for Payton is that L.A. currently does not have picks in either the first or third rounds of 2017 draft, according to Underhill.
- Mike Triplett of ESPN confirms a report that Payton met with Saints GM Mickey Loomis on Sunday regarding his future with the team. Triplett says that the talks between the two men are expected to continue through the next week, as they look to determine Payton’s future with the team.
- A source told Triplett last week that the Saints are actually happy with the direction of their young team and morale isn’t low, despite a recent report.
- Jason La Canfora expects the Chargers and Rams to both show interest in Payton over the next few weeks.
- Jason La Canfora reports that the 49ers have interest in two of the Seahawks’ top personnel men — Trent Kirchner and Scott Fitterer — for their GM position along with ESPN analyst Louis Riddick.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that the Broncos likely will engage in a broader search than they did back in 2015 when they hired Gary Kubiak as their head coach.
- Florio says that it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the team hire a defensive-minded head coach, considering that the defense remains the strength of the Broncos.
- According to Florio, some have suggested that DC Wade Phillips, who’s contract will be expiring, will retire, but the Broncos would reportedly like to keep him around.
- Jason Cole spoke to an NFL GM who told him that the Colts are not making any changes, despite some recent speculation.
Tags Gary Kubiak Louis Riddick Mickey Loomis Scott Fitterer Sean Payton Trent Kirchner Wade Phillip