Ian Rapoport of NFL Media points out that while the 49ers locked up QB Colin Kaepernick to a six year, $114 million extension with $61 million guaranteed, only $13 million of this figure is fully guaranteed.
On top of that, the agreement includes no guaranteed money next year, which means they can move on with limited repercussions if needed.
According to Rapoport, “there’s no guarantee Kaepernick is going to be on the roster.”
Another $14 million will become guaranteed in April of next year, but this also gives San Francisco ample time to consider all of their available options. It’s worth mentioning that parting ways with Kaepernick would create $7 million in dead money for the 49ers.
Earlier in the day, 49ers coach Jim Tomsula told reporters on Friday that Kaepernick will remain their starting quarterback in the coming weeks, despite another disappointing outing.
“Colin’s our quarterback,” said Tomsula, per Matt Barrows. “No controversy.”
Team owner Jed York told Jason Cole of B/R at the owners meeting a few weeks ago that they are “a longs ways away” from giving up on Kaepernick as their starting quarterback, and they do not have any plans to move in a different direction.
Instead, York says they plan to be patient with Kaepernick and the coaching staff wants to see how he handles his current slump, which will ultimately help them determine if he can be their franchise quarterback moving forward.
In seven games this season, Kaepernick has thrown for 1,453 yards while completing 61.4 percent of his passes to go along with six touchdowns and five interceptions. He’s also added 228 yards rushing and a touchdown.
We’ll have more regarding the 49ers and Kaepernick as the news is available.