During Sunday night’s broadcast, CBS announcer Jim Nantz mentioned Broncos QB Peyton Manning returning for the 2015 season is no longer a guarantee.
“He actually told us that ‘I’m gonna wait and see, I can’t really in my heart tell you anything for sure right now,” Nantz said. “My intention is to play, but things have changed since I last said that.‘”
This comes less than a month after Manning said that he was planning to be back for another year.
“I certainly plan on being back if the Broncos will have me,” Manning said, via Mike Klis of the Denver Post. “At this point I’m thinking about Oakland. I know this is the time when there are conversations about what coaches are going to return.
“For some reason I guess I get to fall into that category because maybe I’m closer to the same age as some of the coaches. But I have no plans along those lines. I’m enjoying playing and looking forward to Sunday’s game and the game to follow that.”
Earlier in the day, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported that John Fox could be out if the Broncos lost to the Colts. On top of that, Adam Gase has been a popular head-coaching candidate in recent weeks, and could be in position to secure a job in coming days, so there is clearly some major question marks about where this team is headed.
Manning, 38, still has another two years remaining on his five-year, $96 million contract, which includes base salaries of $19 million for the 2015 and 2016 seasons. If he’s still on the team’s roster as of the final day of the 2014 league year, his base salary becomes fully guaranteed.
Even if the Broncos retain Fox as their head coach for another year, there is some question as to whether or not Manning is worth the $19 million he stands to make in 2015 under his current contract.
Manning’s 2014 season ended with him throwing for 4,727 yards while completing 66.2 percent of his passes to go along with 39 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.
We’ll have more updates regarding the Broncos and Manning as the news is available.