According to Ian Rapoport, another team to keep an eye on for free agent WR Stevie Johnson is the Jets.
- Rapoport mentions that Johnson had success playing for former Bills HC Chan Gailey, who is now the Jets’ offensive coordinator.
Dianna Marie Russini reports that the Patriots will host free agent WR Stevie Johnson for a visit on Monday.
- Russini previously reported that the Patriots were targeting Johnson.
- Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported last night that the Chargers met with Johnson on Friday.
- According to Gehlken, Johnson left the meeting without a contract, but the overall the visit was characterized as being “positive.”
- Johnson is reportedly planning to make a decision on his next team no later than Monday.
Other landing spots for Johnson could include the Browns and Ravens. Although, a return to the 49ers could still be an option, depending on the kind of interest he receivers.
Johnson, 28, was released by the 49ers in a move that freed up $6,025,000 in available cap space for San Francisco.
In 2014, Johnson appeared in 13 games and caught 35 passes for 435 yards receiving and three touchdowns for the 49ers. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 22 receiver out of 110 qualifying players, which is pretty good considering that he only played 305 snaps.
We’ll have more regarding Johnson as the news is available.