Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that WR Percy Harvin was “happily retired and investigating potential business deals” when the Bills called to see if he would be interested in re-signing the team.
According to La Canfora, Harvin was caught by complete surprise, as he wasn’t trying to maintain football shape in the hope of a possible return. Harvin took 24 hours to consider the Bills’ offer before accepting it and re-signing with the team.
La Canfora says that the idea of bringing Harvin back was first tossed out by Bills senior VP of football administration Bill Overdorf. The idea was reportedly met with a tepid response from team officials but they came around after the lost a second straight game.
Harvin flew into Buffalo and took a physical for the team and later signed a contract last week.
As for the Bills’ plan for Harvin, La Canfora says that he will see at least limited in their Monday night game against the Seahawks.
Harvin, 28, is a former first-round pick of the Vikings back in 2009. He spent four years in Minnesota before he was traded to the Seahawks. After an injury filled 2013 season, the Seahawks once again traded him, this time to the Jets.
Harvin signed a one-year, $6 million contract with the Bills back in March of last year after the Jets cut him loose, but his agreement officially voided earlier in the year making him an unrestricted free agent.
Harvin informed the Bills back in April that he was retiring from the NFL, due to knee and hip injuries.
Over the course of his seven years in the NFL, Harvin totaled 515 receptions for 4,020 yards receiving to go along with 916 yards rushing on 145 carries (6.3 YPC) and 27 total touchdowns.