Chargers QB Philip Rivers told reporters on Friday that he’s “willing to listen to anything” in regards to possibly signing a contract extension that will keep him in San Diego.
“A lot of moving parts and lots to think about,” Rivers said, via Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune. “Location, family, team … All I can say at this point regarding an extension is I’m willing to listen to anything. I’m also willing to play it out. I’m just fired up to be the Chargers QB in 2015.”
- Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune reported yesterday that the Chargers informed Rivers that he wouldn’t be traded during the draft.
- According to Acee, extensions are ongoing between the two parties.
- Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports reported a few days ago that the Chargers met with Rivers’ representatives last week to discuss a long-term contract extension.
- Garafolo added San Diego remains “intent” on getting an agreement in place with Rivers.
There was so much buzz that the Chargers could move Rivers in a deal up the board for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota. However, the team maintained all along that he was a part of their plans this season and they were focused on signing him to a contract extension.
On top of that, it became clear last night the Titans were never really all that interested in passing on the Heisman Trophy winner.
Depending on how contract talks go in the coming months, the franchise tag could still be in play for the Rivers next year.
Rivers, 33, is entering the final year of his seven-year, $98.25 million contract that included $38.15 million guaranteed. He stands to make a base salary of $15.57 million for the 2015 season.
Despite dealing with some injuries last year, Rivers was able to put together another solid season for the Chargers in which he threw for 4,286 yards while completing 66.5 percent of his passes to go along with 31 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.
Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 7 quarterback out of 39 qualifying players.