Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that contract talks between the Bills and QB Tyrod Taylor are ongoing and and there is “plenty of optimism” that a deal will get done before the season begins.
- Rapoport points out that this situation is very unique, considering that Taylor has only started 14 games and his salary is very for a starting quarterback.
- According to Rapoport, there are also cap considerations in play here.
Bills GM Doug Whaley told reporters on Friday that the lines of communication are definitely open with Taylor and “free flowing,” per Joe Buscaglia. Whaley added that he’s hoping the two sides will be able to reach agreement on a new contract at some point in the near future.
Taylor mentioned a few weeks ago he’s just focused on helping the team win more games in 2016, rather that his contract situation.
“The contract situation will play out. My mindset is to go out there and win games,” Taylor told James Walker of ESPN. “Do whatever it takes to win games, lead the guys, be the leader on the field, off the field and a commander. But I’m not necessarily focused on the contract. I can’t control that. … I’ve always been one that focuses on the things I can control, and that’s going to be my preparation and how I go out there and play. I’ll let everything else take care of itself.”
Taylor, 26, signed a three-year, $3.35 million contract that included just $1.2 million guaranteed with the Bills back in March of last year. However, the third year of his contract actually voided after he surpassed the snap limit included in the agreement last year.
In 2015, Taylor threw for 3,035 yards passing while completing 63.7 percent of his passes to go along with 20 touchdowns and six interceptions. Taylor has also contributed 568 yards rushing and four rushing touchdowns over the course of 14 games.
Pro Football Focus had him rated as the No. 9 quarterback out of 38 qualifying players last year.
We’ll have more regarding an extension for Taylor as the news is available.